Sunday 4 March 2012

First blog... (and Glenmac)

 First blog, ever.

Why?
The idea behind this blog is to help me train a bit more, as I always intend to do so but then laziness gets in the way. Ideally, I'd like to tick a Font 7c+ and E4 at some point, so I need to get a bit stronger and more focused.

Training
At some point soon I'd better read a bit more about training, but in the mean time I'm going to start off with sessions outdoors, indoors and pull ups and push ups at home, together with some hanging off the door frame for finger strength.

Climbing
 At the same time, I may as well keep a log of my climbing so that I can see how much climbing I actually get done and what I've been up to. Made it down to Glenmac for the first time this season for a solo session. Sent a group text last night but Trish was the only taker, and she slept in ( I called and texted her this morning but didn't want to keep calling as it seemed too stalker-like).

There were beautiful blue skies in Dublin, but it clouded over a bit in Wicklow. I had some second thought about Glenmac with the risk of rain, but kept going as I'm quite bored of Glendo by now and I had a hankering to give the 7a sitter on the Rasher boulder a go.

I'd kind of forgotten how long the walk in to Glenmac is, and with the wind blowing against me it made it seem longer. Despite its relative length for a bouldering approach, it's a great walk-in as Glenmac is quite impressive in its own bleak way.Following the cold snap last night, the snow/frost was coming down the hillsides around the valley and this added to the atmosphere.

Got to the rasher and worked the full irish for a while. Topped out before the nose, but I think this may be too early. Tried going further a few time but bottled out of the rounded top-out.

Moved on to the 7a sitter to the left, and was glad to have the tarp. Took a while to figure out the moves and to remember to ignore the tempting looking jug to the left - too far off route, just made life more difficult. Remembered to try the top section so that I would know how to do it when/if I got there. Finally linked the bottom moves by figuring out the feet/ holding the cut-loose, got to the easy top out moves, forgot how to do them and fell off. Worked the top moves again and remembered them. Was afraid at this point that I'd spent too lon on teh problem and wouldn't have the strnegth left to do it. Gave it another go and topped out, felt so easy!

It always feels like an anti-climax to me when I work a problem for a while that feels hard, and when it finally goes it feels easy. It's as if I should have sent it earlier, and not wasted so much time. However, I think I've finally accepted this as part of the process and to enjoy the send anyway, as often when I  come back to what was eventually an easy send I can't do it again anyway!


Moved on after this to the easy circuit around Le Joker, then felt like heading back so that I could also get a walk in with Jules. Good day in the hills!

Days Training
To get off to a good start, I also did 2x12 and 2x10 pull ups, and 2x30 push ups (no finger boarding). The plan is to 50 pulls ups each morning and 50 each evening, and 100 push ups. We'll see

Blog editing
Must write shorter blogs. This one is long, rambling and pretty boring I'm sure. Plus, it's way past my bedtime.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogshere Dec. For Full Irish you topout with the slopey boss in your left hand and throw your heel onto the arete. There is a harder verion and a link into the top of the problem to the left as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave! probably was the right top out then

      Delete